How to Connect a Deco Mesh Wi-Fi System With Starlink Internet
There are two generations of Starlink Satellite Dishes:
- The Gen-1 Terminal (Circular Dish)
- The Gen-2 Terminal (Rectangular Dish)
The main difference between the two versions is the removal of the Ethernet Jack. This means that with a Gen-2 Terminal, you must purchase an Ethernet Adapter from Starlink prior to connecting a third-party router.
The steps below will provide instructions on how to connect a Deco Mesh Wi-Fi System to the Starlink Terminal.
For the original Gen-1 Starlink User Terminal
- Connect Deco without Gen-1 Starlink router
For instructions on how to set up your Deco Mesh Wi-Fi System, please refer to this guide.
- Connect the Primary Deco to the Gen-1 Starlink Rerminal:
In this network topology, connect Deco to the AUX port of the Gen-1 Starlink Router. The default operation mode on the Deco is Router Mode. To avoid introducing a double NAT scenario and subsequent issues, we suggest changing the Deco to Access Point Mode operation using the Deco app.
Follow this guide to change your Deco’s Operation Mode to Access Point Mode.
For The Gen-2 Starlink User Terminal
Unlike the Original Starlink Gen-1 Terminal, the Gen-2 Terminal’s Dish is Rectangular, and no PoE adapter is included. The Rectangular Dish will be directly powered by the Gen-2 Starlink router. Since there are no additional Ethernet ports on the Gen-2 Starlink router, you must purchase an Ethernet Adapter from Starlink to Connect the Deco Mesh System.
- Connect the Deco with the Gen-2 Starlink Router:
The Gen-2 Starlink router supports Bypass Mode, which will completely disable the built-in Starlink Wi-Fi router functions. A factory reset of the Gen-2 Starlink Router is required if you want to revert it to router mode. Once the Deco is connected to the Ethernet adapter, there are two recommended setup options.
- Enable Bypass Mode in the Starlink App under Settings > Advanced, then set up the Deco in Wireless Router Mode.
- Leave Bypass Mode disabled in the Starlink App, then set up the Deco in Access Point Mode.
Is this faq useful?
Your feedback helps improve this site.