What Should I Do if My Tapo Smart Camera Keeps Losing Connection or Showing Offline?
There are some circumstances in which Tapo smart devices may not be stable or will lose connection from time to time, this could be due to the network environment or some other reasons, this article provides some helpful tips to fix the situation.
Step 1: Ensure your router is working properly. Reboot the router and camera and see if the smart device reconnects after that.
Step 2: Ensure your Tapo smart device is receiving a Good Wi-Fi signal by checking RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator)
From the Tapo APP->tap the settings gear() icon in the top left corner > Camera Settings-> Network Connection -> tap the Wi-Fi icon to see signal strength (the value of RSSI)
Greater than -50dBm
Good to Average
Between -50dBm to -70dBm
Less Than -70dBm
*Note: If RSSI is less than -70dBm, the signal is too weak, smart device disconnections are likely. Try to relocate the smart device or router to get a stronger Wi-Fi signal.
Step 3. Update the firmware of the Tapo device.
Step 4. Ensure your Tapo APP is up to date. You may consider reinstalling your Tapo App and login to your account again.
Step 5. Turn off Advanced Wi-Fi settings on the router like Band Steering (also called ‘Smart Connect’ or ‘Whole-Home Wi-Fi ‘), Wi-Fi Optimizing or ‘Channel optimization’ etc. (Other Features worth toggling: Beamforming, Mesh Technology, and Fast Roaming)
Step 6. Try changing Router's DNS Settings to a Common Service Such as Cloudflare or Google’s:
Primary DNS 22.214.171.124
Secondary DNS: 126.96.36.199
Step7. [Optional] Try to configure the smart device to another router’s 2.4G Wi-Fi or a mobile Hotspot Wi-Fi to verify whether this issue is related to the specific router. We also recommend trying to configure the device to your IoT or Guest Networks.
If the issue is still the same, contact TP-Link technical support and provide the information below for our support to look into further:
- Led status on a smart device when it is offline: Red/ Flashing Green/ Solid Green etc.
- MAC address of the Camera
- TP-Link ID email address
- When the issue occurs, does the smart device work in the local network?
For a test, connect your mobile device to the home Wi-Fi network at that time and see if the Tapo device is still accessible in the local network?
- the model number Wi-Fi router and your network topology:
e.g. ISP Spectrum-Archer C7 router<Wireless> Tapo device
- How often does the issue happen, and how does the recover the connection, like reboot the camera or reboot the router?
- Enable Diagnose mode, get the log of the camera, and share the log file.
- What should I do if my Tapo smart devices (smart plug, smart lighting) keeps losing connection or going Offline?
- How to check and improve the network connection stability of Tapo&Kasa smart devices
Is this faq useful?
Your feedback helps improve this site.
Still need help? Search for answers, ask questions, and get help from TP-Link experts and other users around the world.